Casual Conversation

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by Intrepid, Nov 7, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. FadedRose

FadedRose New Member

Hi Caroline,

In some circles they are called fartichokes.

http://www.hungrycravings.com/2009/06/my-first-and-last-sunchoke.html

2. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I steamed them and poured a bit of flax seed oil, parsley, salt and pepper. It was good. They have a slightly sweet taste to them but are a low GI food.

3. June-

June- New Member

We used them as a substitue for potatoes if i remember correctly.

4. Wino

Wino Resident Honey Badger

That sounds........dreadful :D

5. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Given your diet, anything healthy will sound dreadful :p

6. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

:D :D

7. Gustav123

Gustav123 Life,enjoy it.

"If people can be educated to see the lowly side of their own natures, it may be hoped that they will also learn to understand and to love their fellow men better. A little less hypocrisy and a little more tolerance towards oneself can only have good results in respect for our neighbor; for we are all too prone to transfer to our fellows the injustice and violence we inflict upon our own natures."
    Jung

8. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

That's awesome! Just this morning I read an article on the list of the 12 most pesticide laden fruits and vegetables:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/22/dirty-dozen-foods-list-2013_n_3132788.html?utm_hp_ref=healthy-living

9. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

I like this. :)

10. abigail48

abigail48 New Member

gary null said today that apples are the worst for pesticides because so many are used & because their skins are permeable. & he said he would never eat a non-organic watermellon for the same reason

11. Gustav123

Gustav123 Life,enjoy it.

Thats sad about watermelon wow I thought I once had heard melon skins were so thick they were sort of immune

12. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

The little prince yawned. He was regretting his lost sunset. And then, too, he was already beginning to be a little bored.

"I have nothing more to do here," he said to the king. "So I shall set out on my way again."

"Do not go," said the king, who was very proud of having a subject. "Do not go. I will make you a Minister!"

"Minister of what?"

"Minster of-- of Justice!"

"But there is nobody here to judge!"

"We do not know that," the king said to him. "I have not yet made a complete tour of my kingdom. I am very old. There is no room here for a carriage. And it tires me to walk."

"Oh, but I have looked already!" said the little prince, turning around to give one more glance to the other side of the planet. On that side, as on this, there was nobody at all...

"Then you shall judge yourself," the king answered. "that is the most difficult thing of all. It is much more difficult to judge oneself than to judge others. If you succeed in judging yourself rightly, then you are indeed a man of true wisdom."

13. abigail48

abigail48 New Member

the good part is that if you can talk your produce provider into organic watermelon, you can juice the skins too

14. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Juicing is not that good of a practice. If you leave out the fiber, all you're consuming is sugar.

15. abigail48

abigail48 New Member

no, fruits aa7 vegetables have a miriad of diease fighting & health causing chemicals. if organic, of course, consuming a miriad of pesticides will negate that a bunch

16. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/13/twitter-hate-speech_n_3265916.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

:-X

17. June-

June- New Member

Completely unbiased of course, having been done by californians. ;)

Seriously, i dont care to be stereotyped any more than the next person.

18. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I don't know one person who is 100% unbiased towards others or doesn't stereotype in the least bit. I know we all say it's despicable and we'd NEVER engage in stereotyping but the reality is very different. I think it's just the degrees that vary; some engage more than others but I'm convinced that we're all biased when it comes to race, color, creed, flag, socio-economic status, level of education, looks, etc.

19. June-

June- New Member

I still don't like it anymore than the next person. ;)

20. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

No doubt. Nobody likes being at the receiving end of not-so-nice-stuff.