Danny - Photography

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by Aladdin, Apr 2, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

First of all I received your awesome cards. I tend to not talk much and I believe a picture can reveal what the heart feels but not always says. I have given the cards to several people; I simply write that this is my world - my vertigo situation. To be honest, it put things into perspective with the people I gave them to. They understood simply by looking at the picture; they had read the words of scd and mm but didn't understand until they looked at what danny captured in film.

tuck? sorry to put you on the spot - but can you give me some photography tips for taking pictures of people? pm if you'd like otherwise start a thread because you are amazing and your talent suprasses the beginner such as myself.

xoxox

2. tucker

tucker The Meniere's DVD Guy!

gee, I don't know

I leave my camera on automatic everything now because of MM. I only took one beginning class of photography and trid uusing the f stops and stuff but i am too dylexic to handle it, but I learned a lot about composition.

My theroy is if it looks good thru the lens take the photo, when I frist started out I was lucky to get 4 good shots on a roll, but now that everything is digiatal and all the photo programs, it really helps.

sorry not much help

I am really glad you like the cards!

hugs
    Danny

3. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

4. thornapple

thornapple New Member

I used to do wedding and still do portrait photography.....soooo I can give you my tips. Tucker seems to magically do all the right things through pure artistic instinct!

1. Use a telephoto lens (for 35mm, use 135 or longer), move back from your subject, and zoom in. It blurs out the background and focuses on the people, and it's very flattering to faces. It also relaxes your subjects if you are not in their face. Use a tripod to steady the camera if you have to. I like to move around, so I use a fast shutter speed to stop any movement of the camera.

2. Choose a nice background; move yourself first to eliminate weird backgrounds, then, if necessary, move the people. Be sure your subject does not have a pole or a tree coming out of their head.

3. Don't put people's hands or feet in front of them when they are sitting or standing; it will make it look as though their hands or feet are ginormous.

4. A 3/4 view usually is the most flattering (and removes ten pounds!).

5. Take at least three shots to get one good expression. If you talk to your subjects while you shoot, you can get very nice smiles and looks by interacting with them. With more people, take more shots. I am a pro and I take about 60 shots of any people/persons: I get 40 good shots and 20 killer fantastic shots that way. Plus, the more you shoot, the more relaxed your subject gets and the better the shots get. Digital "film" is free---and recycleable!

6. If you get a blinker...fool them. Take pics while you talk to them, or count "1....2....3..." and shoot on 2.

7. Group shots: have people move so close together it feels wrong (this is what I tell them). If it feels wrong, it looks GREAT.

8. If you get a bunch of stone faces, tell them to say "cheese", take a shot or two, then tell them to say "cleavage". Cleavage always gets the most wonderful expressions of joy from both men and women! It only works once, though. Great for large groups of people.

9. Tell your subjects how beautiful the shots are and how fantasic they look in the picture you just took of them. It makes the pics get better and better because they are then excited about having pictures taken.

10. You can get a lot of different variety pics in one location or setting by moving around, squatting, standing on something (not something you will fall off of) or having your subject sit or stand. This changes the perspective of your shot and one of these ways may be more flattering to the person's face or figure. Plus it is fun for the people!

11. Natural light with a little flash added is the best light for portraits.

12. If you are shooting flash in the dark, have people stand a few feet in front any walls so their shadows will not be right behind them.

Let me know if this helps!

5. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

thanks love; i brain fgoged because i was going to ask you too - thanks the info is great
    xoxox

6. thornapple

thornapple New Member

You are welcome! Now go shoot a bunch and show us your best shots!

7. thanks for the tip's iam very keen on photography mainley transport and landscape's but i only have a basic digital camara but it suits me lol.

8. dizzysheba01

dizzysheba01 New Member

LOL,my ex-sister-in-law was wondeful at setting up a picture. However, lol, she had one bad fault. She always forgot to take that final look before snapping the picture. We have some hilarious family pictures, especially at Christmas because of this little goof. In one picture of 50 perfectly placed people, one person is blowing their nose. I crack up every time I look at it.

9. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

xoxoxoxo

dizzy - that's funny

thornie - i will and this summer i'll have more shots of the lighthouse in MI

10. thornapple

thornapple New Member

when this summer? I can be there! as long as it isn't july 14.

11. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

cool - i'll pm you with dates when I've got them -

xoxox