L-Lysine is helping!

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by HappyGrace, Sep 12, 2013.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. HappyGrace

HappyGrace New Member

I just wanted to encourage others who might be on the fence with trying L-Lysine, from the JOH regimen, to go ahead and try it!

I am thankfully currently vertigo free due to recent gent injection, but still have all the other symptoms. I started L-Lysine (3000 mg/day as per JOH) a couple wks ago and have had great results already! Ear fullness has been markedly reduced, even w/ near 100% humidity last wk (a trigger for me), and ringing is quieter. I just "feel" better too, not perfect, but better. To the point my husband has noticed a turnaround.

In fact, I went a couple days this wk w/out the L-Lysine, and it all returned. I started up the Lysine again and w/in 24 hours started to feel better. I can't believe the difference it makes-I really was not expecting it! I started the other JOH components (just within this wk and on the lightest doses to start) but it's too soon on them to comment.

I think I had posted this within a thread somewhere, but wanted to give it its own thread.

I'm starting antivirals today (valacylovir) but will still take all the JOH components too! I have a history of cold sores so I suspected a viral component for me for Meniere's and the L-Lysine seems to be proving that true so far.

Definitely take it on an empty stomach, as JOH recommends (20 min before eating or 2 hrs after). I hope this helps someone!

2. HappyGrace

HappyGrace New Member

I should also add I am fairly newly diagnosed w/ Meniere's (Dec '12) so maybe that's partly why I'm having quick results with the L-Lysine. By June though I had daily severe debilitating attacks.

Anyway, it's worth a try if you haven't tried it!

3. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Delay the antivirals so you can tell if it is really the Lysine and JOH that are helping you. Otherwise you may find yourself tied to taking all those supplements because you are psychologically convinced they are helping you. On the other hand, they may be the wonder pills for you and you may find yourself bound to antivirals thinking those are helping you.

I'd follow one protocol at a time.

4. June-

June- New Member

Glad to hear of your success!

5. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

If I had Meniere's symptoms (I no longer do, because of my regimen), I'd simplly want persistent relief. I wouldn't want to play medical researcher and do some reductionist (keep the factors simple, so you can know which work and which do not) experimenting. I'd simply want relief, and if that came by way of both the regimen components and the prescribed antiherpetic drugs, so be it. Should we be medical subjects and researchers, or should we simply wish to attain safe and persisting symptomatic relief?

Grace's account of what happened when she went off the lysine is important to note -- her lysine-suppressed symptoms came right back. When she went back on the lysine, they became suppressed once again. That's about as scientific as can be, affirming that (at least in her case) the lysine was authentically therapeutic. (In emails from regimen users, I have numerous other accounts of this phenomenon.)

But it is also clear from such communications that the prescription antiherpetics, when taken along with the lysine, also suppress herpes viral activity in the inner ear. I've always recommended the simultaneous use of both prescription antiherpetics (when a physician can be found who will prescribe them) simulataneously and along with the components of my regimen.

An important consideration. Exactly how gentimicin injections suppress MM symptoms is not clear. There is apparently some toxic poisoning of some inner ear nerves that originate or convey aberrant signals to the brain. Clearly, for many, this is a worthwhile treatment.

But as with just pure antiherpetics and/or lysine, it's incomplete, for the following reasons. Lysine and antiherpetic drugs are able -- in time -- to suppress viral activity. But this can take some time. The longer one has had MM symptoms, the longer it generally takes to suppress the viral activity. (Grace began to nail her symptoms early on, a great advantage.)

Importantly, the virus infecting the inner ear has probably caused microscopic lesions there, where microscopic scars or tissue disfunction can occur. In short, the virus-disrupted inner ear needs to heal, and the inflammation caused by the virus needs to be suppressed. Both of these are addressed by the non-lysine components of my regimen. The lemon bioflavonoids, the ginkgo extract, and the vinpocetine all increase blood flow through the inflamed inner ear, allowing blood-facilitated healing. The vitamins C and E support the immune system and reduce inflammation. The MSM turns down immune system over-reaction and simultaneously reduces allergy components.

In short, the taking of only antiherpetic drugs or lysine (when each is at effective doses, for sufficient periods) has clearly shown to bring symptomatic relief in the majority of Meniere's cases (although the majority of physicians still discount either approach). But the taking of additional therapeutic elements that increase circulation, suppress immune system over-reaction, and suppress allergic factors would seem to provide the best, most favorable approach to dealing with MM symptoms.

Everyone, of course, will go forward with the therapies each and his or her physician have chosen. Grace's account is worth considering.

My approach is described here:
    http://www.zoominternet.net/~kcshop/JOH.pdf

--John of Ohio

6. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

That doesn't make sense, JOH. You've experiemnted with your regimen, tweaked, retweaked, eliminated and added products over the years. Yet, you dissuade others from experimenting with theirs? Double standard.

7. sirlanc

sirlanc New Member

8. HappyGrace

HappyGrace New Member

I don't think John said not to experiment-he said why bother reducing out one component or the other to find what is working, when the ultimate goal is relief.

I hear and understand what you are saying, Intrepid, and that is usually the approach that is advisable *when one is trying to find out what components of a combined regimen work*. It is worth it to try each component in isolation, in that case.

That is not my particular goal here. I am early on in diagnosis, and I want to throw everything I can at it for the most possible benefit as soon as possible. It would be different if I were dealing with very expensive or more dangerous components, because then I would want to be sure to eliminate elements that weren't working, to avoid unnecessary expense or danger. But these are all very safe and inexpensive (very doable in my budget).

Clearly, the Lysine is working, which is great. Furthermore, I believe the other JOH supplements will only enhance my results with the antivirals, based on their purported mechanisms (ie-the ones that increase circulation should help the circulation of the antivirals).

9. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

That doesn't make sense, JOH. You've experiemnted with your regimen, tweaked, retweaked, eliminated and added products over the years. Yet, you dissuade others from experimenting with theirs? Double standard.

No double standard here at all.

First, the regimen was devised between 13 and 10 years ago, with some minor changes along the way. But never did I limit my "experimentation" to only a single element or component, as has been suggested for Grace. I have always tried combinations of substances, not single-element therapies.

When I began the regimen, antiherpetic prescription drugs, such as acyclovir, were not generally used for and known to bring symptomatic relief for Meniere's. But since their effectiveness has become so evident in recent years, I always recommended their use when available (along with the regimen).

Intrepid, would you suggest that those presribed (so commonly) the initial low salt/diuretic therapy be "scientific" and try just low salt or the diuretic for a few weeks to determine which of these two therapeutic elements is more effective?

From the start, it's been abundantly clear to me that a combination of therapeutic elements are required to effectively suppress Meniere's symptoms. No single element brings useful and persisting results.

--John of Ohio

10. yanksgirl

yanksgirl New Member

John, I have a question: If one does not have vertigo and minimal tinnitus, are anti-virals and/or L-Lysine helpful with the awful dizziness and nausea--that is daily and an occasional 'spin'--that makes one fear they are going into vertigo? My doctor assures me I'll not develop 'vertigo' again, though I told him about the mini-spins. He doesn't believe in anti-virals. Have any or your followers here told you they have found success in the awful dizziness and nausea and 'fullness/brainfog' that accompanies this? I hesitate to take anything if it's only for the 'worst cases' scenario that is not medically approved, though many here have said your regimen has helped them so much. thank you! :)

11. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Yes, the majority of regimen users have reported that it suppresses or elminates dizziness, ear fullness (hydrops), and brain fog.

The regimen is NOT for "worst case" scenarios. It works best at the early stages of Meniere's, before one has had it for years or decades, before lasting damage has occurred to the inner ear.

If you have concerns about the regimen being "medically approved," do not take any of it. It is no where near medical approval. That would take many years, and one or two million-dollar double-blind clinical tests at a major research hospital or clinic. Won't ever happen.

But the elements of the regimen are "over the counter," can be purchased and used (safely) without a prescription. Please read the component and regimen information carefully here:

Keep us posted on your progress.

--John of Ohio

12. jimmykicker

jimmykicker New Member

I had a real nice talk with Dr. Gacek about antiviral treatments a month or so ago. He's a smart dude...and a damn nice guy too. He was done for the day and took the time to spend another 15 minutes explaining why it works (and why other therapies like diuretics do not). We talked about cars too for some reason...his car? A 1985 BMW...that's no typo. 1985...with 280,000 miles. He said that his surgeries are at about 20% of what other doctors are because he doesn't recommend surgery except as a very last resort. I find this to be extremely cool...I told him I would recommend him over ANYONE I ever saw, and he agreed...said his father (also an oto) told him that if you do the right thing it will come back to you. Well guys, most doctors don't have that mentality...many of them are just chasing a dollar. Dr. Gacek in my opinion is a freakin SAINT....

He tested my hearing the other day...guess what?? Almost NORMAL....very close to my right ear. He was thrilled. Said to make sure to take care of yourself. Rest, eat right...don't let stress eat your @$$, take your meds...stay on top of them. The magic number for me seems to be two Acyclovir a day. I have a day or so where I feel a tad "off"...or my hearing slips a tad...but I have been good since my last little setback.

Yanksgirl? Acyclovir has been PROVEN to be safe for long term use. Please find you another doctor that will prescribe them! You do NOT have to suffer with this! Lysine also I believe to be a good component of why I am doing okay too. When I have one of those "off" days, I bump up the Lysine for just a day or two and I am good.

I will say this...I don't give a rats patootie what is making me better....Really don't. All I know is that I am. I like HappyGrace hit this garbage with a VENGEANCE early on and MY belief is that this is why we are doing well. You do NOT have to suffer! Find a real doctor...like doctor Gacek....that is practicing 21st century medicine. Not 1950s medicine....

13. debin

debin New Member

Great post James!

14. debin

debin New Member

After reading this post I thought I would give Lysine a shot. Is started taking just 1000 units a day and my ear has been very quiet and feeling better. I'm not going to over brag but I'm crossing my fingers!! one day at a time!

15. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Debin,

Continue with the lysine; but be aware that 1000 mg (two separate 500 mg doses) is not likely enough to bring full suppression of the herpes virus. It's been discovered that it generally takes 3000 mg to do this, in three 1000 mg doses, taken at least 20 min before food, or 2 hr after a meal.

Information here:

--John of Ohio

16. debin

debin New Member

Thanks john!!!

17. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

Wow, Yanksgirl, I have the same type of Meniere's. Only one vertigo attack in 10 years (it was a bastard, though), and chronic daily dizziness and brain fog and malaise that's often disabling. After reading John's reply to your post, I'm going to get serious with the l-lysine. It's a hassle to schedule it because you can't take it within 2 hours of food, but I'm doing it.

Bless all,
    Ron