medical alert bracelet

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by LisaD, May 7, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. LisaD

LisaD New Member

Hi,

I had a very debilitating vertigo attack on Tuesday. I am afraid to leave the house as my attacks happen in no predictable fashion. I can't move during an attack as it makes it worst. All I can do is lay as still as possible during an attack. I can't even sit up. If were to go out to the grocery store and this were to happen; I am sure that someone would call 911 especially if they seen a pregnant women on the floor. So, I don't venture out. Does anyone wear a medical alert bracelet for the Meniere's disease?

Lisa

2. peggoins

peggoins Stop the world from spinning!!

yes i do and if you check the data base you will find many more who do.. Peg ;D

3. tucker

tucker The Meniere's DVD Guy!

I have one and it it from RoadID. It is one of those interactive ones where they can call and found out what meds you are on and your other medical info in case I am unable to let them know. NO I do not work for RoadID, I jsut like their product.

Tuck

4. amberini

amberini New Member

Danny,
    Thanks SO much for that website. I have a son who is into triathlon/sprints and I have always worried about his safety.
    In South Florida, drivers seem to AIM for runners, bikers, walkers. "Yield" isn't in their vocabulary!

5. candy

candy To thine ownself be true.

I just checked out the RoadID website and am buying one of those! $20.00! HOw awesome! And it will make me feel so much better about running and being at dog shows etc! Thanks Tucker

6. Amethyst

Amethyst She believed she could, so she did.

I wear a medical alert bracelet.

My mother who also has MM and a lot of vertigo attacks, carries a Meniere's Resources Inc MM brochure in her purse, plus a little "vomit" kit (ziplock bag, paper towel) and a note indicating what should be done if she has an attack in a store.

7. WhitHanFan84

WhitHanFan84 Doing what I love....traveling to concerts!!!

I have a Medic Alert Tag. It's basically a USB with all of my medical history, meds, surgeries etc. I've showed it to all my doctors and they are not thrilled about it at all. Why? Because they prefer it all to be written out! How ridiculous is that when they can just pop it into the computer and read it themselves?!?!?! So stupid.

8. Huck

Huck New Member

That is not suprising. My wife works as a nurse. The hospital is going all paperless within the next year. She says half of the doctors are fighting. Many of the doctors can not do simple things on a computer and dont have email. I was absolutely floored by that. I told her I could see that with some of the older MD's as we have several locally. She said it is not only the older ones, even the ones in their 40's!

9. fcclimber

fcclimber New Member

It's hard to write illegibly on a computer. :D

10. Genesis74

Genesis74 New Member

My husband has a RoadID bracelet for his biking. He has been trying to get me to get one. I think I am just afraid.

11. charlesj

charlesj New Member

I wear a MedicAlert bracelet as well.

12. Carrie~Anne

Carrie~Anne the sounds of birds stops the noise in my mind

I don't have a bracelet, but plan on getting one as I feel it's very important.

13. LizaAZ

LizaAZ New Member

I wear a bracelet. My doctor asked me to start wearing one, especially when taking long trips. It says deaf/Asthmatic.

14. DizzyDon62

DizzyDon62 My Hearing Ear Dog Ember

I got told I need to wear one after my cochlear implant surgery they need to know the manufacturer and serial number incase I need an MRI and can't speak for myself. I think it will be great to list all the meds that I am on for my bipolar disorder and let people know about the meniere's disease to.

15. birdmom3

birdmom3 New Member

Yes I have worn one. Since I moved I took it off as it had my old telephone number, but I carry a card with the information on it in my wallet.

16. LisaD

LisaD New Member

Thanks for all the responses. I am going to get one.

17. sjwo1

sjwo1 Hiking Utah

i wear one when I run. my problem is that I am also deaf. so when a spell occurs on the road someone calls 911 and they show up I dont hear the siren or even know they are there. so they think I am really out of it. things are so blurry I am not sure its an EMT. so they start sticking needles in and try to transport me. yikes. then i figure out what is going on (by then the crowd has gathered to watch the side show) and hand them my cell phone and tell them to call my wife. she comes and picks me up....fully supplied with a few towels, barf bag, pillow, and a smooth ride home. bracelet is a VERY good idea. Sid.

18. AKJim

AKJim Giant's Causeway Northern Ireland

Hi Don,

When you get your cochlear implant (CI) they give you a card to carry in your wallet identifying you as a CI user. It has the information you mentioned on it (make, model and serial number). You will also need the card in case your CI sets off the airport security screener. I've traveled all over the world with my CI and I've never had that problem, but I carry the card just in case. Best of luck with your upcoming surgery.

Best regards,

Jim

19. Seadog

Seadog Ambidextrous dumb-ass with out coffee

I just bought two of them.

20. Aegir

Aegir New Member

I'm based in the UK; does anyone know whether there is a medical alert bracelet, or something similar, that is non-metallic as I have allergic reactions to most jewellery?

Okay, just took a look at the internet, and found one that is more a material based version, which is perfect ;)