O/T-For men only-The Prostate Cancer Puzzle

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by daBronx, Apr 16, 2014.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. daBronx

daBronx New Member

The Prostate Cancer Puzzle
    http://www.news360.com/article/234005523

2. poppaharley

poppaharley Meniere's: God's answer to a free merry-go-round

The article only points to what I've said for years....do NOT simply believe the first doctor that offers you some sort of treatment/solution to whatever problem you have. A surgeon will be chomping at the bit to cut on everybody the first chance he gets, whether for the love of cutting, practice, or to pay for new sails for his boat. Explore alternatives and do your own research.

When my dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer many years ago, he was ready to jump on the operating room table at the instructions of his surgeon doctor. I convinced him to explore and we found a different less invasive treatment which he did. However, the first doctor (surgeon) still told him he needed surgery to remove the lymph glands near the prostate which he did and which caused him a lot of discomfort and other problems. When he told the second doctor about the surgery (and the second doctor was also a surgeon on the board of another hospital) he said that the lymph surgery was uncalled for because he had already tested for any problems and it should NOT have been done by the original surgeon. When my dad asked if he would testify to that, the second doctor said "no". Doctors looking out for other doctors in the old boy network.

So, whether prostate or other cancer, menieres, heart prolems, or anything else, unless you are about to die in 20 minutes if you don't have surgery, explore, research, visit, take every opportunity to explore every other option until you yourself are absolutely convinced that there is no other option. I'd love to say that every doctor is dedicated to the well being of his patients, but unfortunately, I think at least some if not many are more dedicated to their craft, their own ego to prove that THEY are the only ones that know what's best for YOU, and their own bank account. Just my opinion.

3. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

Amen. I had a bit of prostate cancer 2 years ago. My urologist wanted me to get a prostatectomy. I was freaking out. I saw two other doctors, and both thought this was way too radical. This was a very small tumor. I had it knocked out with CyberKnife radiation: 5 treatments, and it's gone.

4. bubbagump

bubbagump New Member

glad you made a full recovery....do you think your cancer is somehow related to your Meniere's?

5. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

I am not a man, but I'm going to chime in here anyway. My father in law had prostate cancer and was treated by radiation only. That was quite an ordeal in itself, I cannot imagine a man his age going through surgery. We found out much later that most prostate cancers are extremely slow growing and it's now considered perfectly acceptable to just keep a watchful eye on them. Clark Howard was dx with prostate cancer and that is what he's doing. He was dx at 53 and several years later his annual biopsy and screening showed no signs of cancer whatsoever. Turns out that 50-60% of men have a type of cancer that may never be life threatening and need no treatment at all.

http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/clark-howard/about-clark/clark-gives-update-his-prostate-cancer/nC94p/

6. daBronx

daBronx New Member

I was concerned if I had Prostate cancer so I emailed my GP about my concern.Once a year I get a free physical exam but I have to pay for any blood work.My GP emailed me back with the following results for the last 3 years:
    PSA 1.2 3/21/2014
    PSA 1.03 2/01/2013
    PSA 1.17 3/27/2012
    As you can see the Prostate cancer test-PSA has been consistently normal and low.
    I do have one problem and that is leakage.My GP gave me a prescription for Terazosin and that seems to be preventing any leakage.

daBronx

7. Juz

Juz New Member

My father had his prostate removed due to cancer two years ago, and is doing very well indeed. He's 72 now and is enjoying a week of surfing and sleeping away the days in the paradise of the New South Wales south coast.

Very happy to have my old man around.

8. poppaharley

poppaharley Meniere's: God's answer to a free merry-go-round

It should be remembered that surgery is sometimes the best and only alternative. It should not be ignored. It's just that it shouldn't be jumped into without exploring alternatives and considering the ramifications of all the available alternatives, whether for prostate cancer, Meniere's or any other sort of medical issue. What must be remembered is that doctors are people with their own set of opinions and motivations for what they may suggest to you. YOU have to take responsibility for your health and YOU owe it to yourself to get multiple opinions and do some research before making a decision.

9. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

Thanks, man. No, I don't see a correlation with Meniere's, unless dysfunctional immunity brought on the prostate cancer...?

10. bubbagump

bubbagump New Member

Yeah that's what I meant...but of course there's no way to find out...either way congrats on being cancer free

11. Juz

Juz New Member

I find myself wondering if virtually everything is linked these days! My dad's prostate cancer, the fact that I have had prostatitis (levels tested, I'm fine), and my MM. It's tempting to see a pattern to everything, like my own little conspiracy theory.