Snopes.com debunks rumors Nutrasweet dangers!!!!

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by DizzyMel, Apr 20, 2008.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. DizzyMel

DizzyMel New Member

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp

Alas - after trying to warn friends, family and others about it's potential dangers, I was bombarded with this link. Check it out - BUT that still wouldnt negate the fact that many DO have problems with this chemical. I still say it is chemical - therefore bad. But for the sake of equal (no pun intended) representation here, I thought I would post this.

Melinda

2. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

Snopes might be correct, but I will not drink anything with artificial sweeteners because they taste awful.

3. burd

burd New Member

Just because the report is exaggerrated doesn't mean it doesn't contain truths.  The fact is that aspartame is a dangerous chemical additive that can have side effects from mild to serious, and legitimate information is out there, it's not hard to find.  What we have presented so far on the forum, is an article about aspartame and snopes debunking it.  I believe then it's necessary to see what else is out there for information.  I typed in aspartame in a Google search and came up with more than I have time to read. I was surprised to find there are even books written about the damage it can cause.

Start here, as it contains many different sources pointing to why its dangerous:

http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/dangers.htm

4. DizzyMel

DizzyMel New Member

I thought that I had sufficiently qualified the post by saying:

"BUT that still wouldnt negate the fact that many DO have problems with this chemical. I still say it is chemical - therefore bad. But for the sake of equal (no pun intended) representation here, I thought I would post this. "

I will resist the urge to respond further as I really didnt post the snopes report to start a debate.

5. MedievalWriter

MedievalWriter Ryan's Rose Pvt Ryan Winslow KIA Iraq 4-2006

The 'debunking' reports are similar to reports 'debunking' MSG dangers.

MSG 'debunking' reports all tell us how there is no allergy to MSG. Of course not--MSG problems are sensitivities and other reactions, NOT true allergies.

Semantics.

If aspartame sets off your symptoms, Snopes and the Pope could say it ain't true but you'd know better.

6. June

June New Member

When I was in my twenties I developed some peculiar reactions - not exactly allergies - to certain foods like eggs and onions. I went from one dr to another. Finally a gray haired endocrinologist looked at me and said 'If it makes you sick, don't eat it.' I felt a little sheepish, but I have followed that advice ever since. Everyone here is almost by definition an exception to the rule on a number of things. Why not one more?

7. burd

burd New Member

No need for a defensive posture. We're on the same team. I was just taking your thoughts a bit further, sorry if it didn't sound that way.

8. thedawgboy

thedawgboy New Member

That is one of the best statements I have read in a while. I like the alliteration of it, and thought you should be commended. ;)