The Wit and Wisdom of My Buddy, Spence

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Corner' started by Henrysullivan, May 18, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Being rich
    in what counts
    is more important
    than being rich
    in what can be counted

2. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Before you tell someone
    your troubles
    ask yourself
    would I listen to theirs?

3. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

These are all so great, it makes me want to get a printer...

4. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Thanks, Holly. I think I missed a day or two...Shame on me. So I'll give you a couple.

Life is not
    always fair
    But God
    is always good

5. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Problems
    which cause us to pray
    do more good
    than harm

Whoa! try to take that one in. That gives me a long term overview of what this life is all about. It is something to contemplate.

6. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

...and the hits just keep on coming!!! :-*

7. tm53

tm53 New Member

Hank, Spence either know how to write them or recognized a great one when he saw it.

Any response from the family about publishing? Maybe a post-a-day calendar. The proceeds could go to research into whatever took him at a young age.

8. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Thanks, Tom. Unfortunately the family is not interested to publish. It takes more money to publish than they would ever receive from selling copies. When one publishes, one must be ready to hit the road and publicize it. You need a real marketing campaign and there would be no one to do it. They are all very flattered that good folks like you and Holly and all the others who enjoy these are getting to know their little brother a bit. But it would be impractical to publish it, at least right now. I am glad you are enjoying the entries. I thought the last one was particularly insightful.

Thanks again for the kind remarks.

Hank

9. tm53

tm53 New Member

How about considering setting up a facebook page and asking for whatever contributions whomever wants to donate?

Almost zero risk or cost, shares with a lot of people if we all proliferate it. Win / win.

10. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

I'm up to about zip knowledge on Facebook. I have a Facebook page and most of the folks who befriend me, I don't even know who are. Mostly Meniere's folks I'm sure, but they have real names on Facebook, so I never know. Sometime when I have some time, (when will that be?) I will tackle that project. It is a great idea.

11. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Jesus
    Where God's Deep Love
    and
    Man's Deep Need
    Meet

12. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Another one to rely on. These are all so darn good. I'm so glad you decided to do this loving thing for Spence and his family.

About facebook, I just recently started one and it's nice to be able to get in touch with old friends. The nice thing is you don't have to accept everyone as friends and you don't have to write to your friends everyday. Not only that, you get to learn what your fiends are up to without pages and pages to go through...might try it - although you'll have to learn to say what you want to in shorter sentences ;D ;D :-* (I have noticed that trend in you recently anyway - whats up with that?).

13. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Don't know.

:)

14. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

That's ok (or course) you're a pretty busy man as it is. I'm retired and it keeps me busy between this site and facebook. Oh I get it. You're answering my question haha - good one!

15. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

You're pretty quick on the uptake. Some folks are still scratchin their heads.

Of course, its possible that the arguments against my positions just aren't what they used to be. So it doesn't take as much effort to squash'em.

:)

16. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Well that sounds sad.

I feel like you do have a lot to say - it's just that so many take offense. If they really read your posts as they are meant, it would be a whole different ballgame. I used to get pissed at you at first. But once I really started taking the "personal" attacks out of it, I found you had much to say on a lot of posts.

There's absolutly nothing wrong with having a strong debate/argument/exchange of words over a particular subject. Personally I like it (to a point, of course).

17. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Yeah, I'm not the bear some folks may think. You know that. At the same time, I don't make up my positions. I am sincere in them. And more times than not, as June wrote recently, and I agree, folks project there own foibles on to others. I have received my share of projections. I have my faults though, one may be displaying less sensitivity than I should on occasion. It's not that I don't have it. But I walk a pretty fine line when I should show it and when not.

But one time when my sensitivity does not show is when I detect insincerity in someone else.

Please know that I only talk about this because you brought it into conversation. I don't offer this to be self-serving, only to answer your sincere post.

SINCERELY yours,

Hank

18. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

19. tm53

tm53 New Member

missing our daily dose Hank!

20. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

I am SOOOO sorry? Man, I've even been to busy to argue with Sarita! OK, Tom, thanks for the reminder. I just opened up Spence's book. Here we go:

There is nothing we can do
    to make God love us more
    or
    to make God love us less

How's that for a good one!