Vestibular Implant

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Gene P, Oct 18, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. mrdizzy

mrdizzy New Member

Gene from what I have read it is very similar to a Cochlear Implant. I know that with a CI you normally lose all residual hearing is that the case with this device as well??

2. Gene P

Gene P New Member

MrDizzy,

You know that I responded to your personal note with this question, but because it is an important question, I'd like to answer it here as well. Since the implant is connected to the Vestibular semi-circular canals and not the hearing nerve, you retain the hearing you currently have. (In theory) However, Meniere's will continue to degrade that hearing in most people, like me. This device is not expected to be able to arrest the hearing loss, but counter the vertigo, imbalance and associated nausia.

Hope this helps,

Gene P.

3. Amethyst

Amethyst She believed she could, so she did.

Thanks again Gene for keeping us well informed during this very exciting process. Can't wait for your next report! :)

4. luckyswife

luckyswife New Member

Danny,
    I spoke to Dr. Rubenstein in reference to the inplant for bilaterals who have had a vns, via e-mail.He said,seeing as my condition is very complex,it would need to be performed successfully in inilateral patients first before they move on to the more complex cases.Just to fill you in.

5. luckyswife

luckyswife New Member

Ps......where is the video of Gene's surgery?

6. Seadog

Seadog Ambidextrous dumb-ass with out coffee

No hope for the LAby folks I am guessing. But great news just the same.

7. luckyswife

luckyswife New Member

No Seadog,there's lots of hope.They just want to see it effective on lesser complex cases first.There definatly hope.I'll offer to be the first patient :)

8. Seadog

Seadog Ambidextrous dumb-ass with out coffee

I never give up on hope. Sometimes that's all we have.

9. Skye76

Skye76 New Member

My thoughts are with Gene tonight. He's a brave warrior for us all. Gene, wishing you the best!

And Luckyswife is right...never give up hope. If this proves successful on the uni's, there's a definite chance it will be available in the future on the bi's. :) Here's to hoping....

10. survivedit

survivedit New Member

Really hoping for a successful outcome for Gene - can you imagine?

Bob

11. Goomeri Spinner

Goomeri Spinner New Member

My hope is that they will have an Austrakian trial real soon.....I have my hand up already! No more pred or chemo drugs to control the vertigo and make the nausea worse....this has gotta be a better alternative!

12. tm53

tm53 New Member

How'd the testing go Gene?

13. luckyswife

luckyswife New Member

Keeping my fingers crossed for you sweetie

14. Gene P

Gene P New Member

Re: Vestibular Implant - Testing Update

Well hello again folks. The first round of testing on the implant has been completed and I’d like to give you some details of what happened. First, let me say that I have been given permission by the lead doctors to post my impressions and what happened during this initial testing, which occurred yesterday.

By all accounts the testing of the vestibular implant fully exceeded all expectations! It took place in one of the UW lab facilities and balance center, not a large room, but filled with 12 researchers and doctors as we put the implant through its paces. I wore a set of goggles that included a camera that measured eye movement and the implant was connected to a computer. Each electrode lead in my vestibule then received a 2 second burst of ever increasing current to see if stimulation of the balance center in a human could actually be induced. Again, each electrode had been surgically inserted into each of the three semi circular canals of my inner ear. As each was stimulated, it induced, a different affect on my senses. In one case I felt rotational spinning in a clock rise direction. The more current used, the faster the spin. In all cases I really never moved, but with my eyes covered I felt I was spinning or tilting in one direction or another. All of the electrodes worked and the doctors were ecstatic and very excited with the results. At no time did I feel discomfort or nausea from the testing, nor did I fall out of my seat, although there would have been plenty of people to catch me if I had.

The point I am trying to convey is that IT WORKED!!! I am now (speaking for what I experienced and not my doctors) very confident that with further refinement and testing that we have what I believe may in fact be the vertigo killer we have all hoped for! They were able to induce the sensation of vertigo movement, which means that the implant with its external device and the software that will be mapped to my condition can send the brain the opposite signals that a screwed up vestibule is trying to send the brain during an attack, thus canceling out the false signals and stopping the resulting vertigo before it can begin!

This is big!!!! And I am excited and very very hopeful.

The next round of testing will be in about 3 weeks. I may have a working prototype I can take home at that time.

I know there will be more questions, which I will be happy to respond to.

Best regards and here’s to thinking positive thoughts!

Gene P. (Patient #1)

15. June-

June- New Member

Wonderful !

16. solari

solari Administrator Staff Member

WOW!!! Wonderful... Keep us posted.

17. tm53

tm53 New Member

This is HUGE Gene! Thanks for the post, please do keep us updated.

18. Butterfly

Butterfly I will learn to fly agian.

This is soooo exciting! I've been thinking about you and praying all went well for you. Thank you so much Gene for keeping us up to date on the progress. I hope you have a wonderful weekend :)

19. mrdizzy

mrdizzy New Member

Wow that is incredible! Look forward to more updates

20. nwspin

nwspin New Member

Great news Gene. ;D

Out of curiosity how have you been feeling? Any vertigo? I know you were being hit with a lot of attacks prior to the surgery, I was just curious if maybe the surgery itself stimulated something in the Labyrinth to calm things down, I guess time will tell.