Where do you shop for your diet? Online?

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by ulrich22, Jun 25, 2008.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. ulrich22

ulrich22 New Member

Hi,
    I realize that a low sodium diet is not very hard to achieve if you can cook fresh foods that are naturally low in sodium. Since I cannot spend a lot of time cooking due to my work schedule, my problem is finding low sodium versions of foods that have naturally high or medium level of sodium. You know the ones that taste better :)

Where do you guys get these from? I know there are websites specialized in low sodium foods such as eatlowsodium.com, livinglowsodium. Have you tried ordering online? How is your experience?

Many thanks,
    Ulrich
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

2. June

June New Member

I am starting to find things like low or no sodium Ketchup (Heinz) and tomato juice at Walmart. I also find that many products like popcorn and stove top stuffing that prominently display 'lower sodium' on the box. THey are not real low sodium but I can work them into my meals. I have recently found truly low sodium soup (I think campbells) in single serving mushroom and chicken noodle. THe tomato products have potassium chloride and taste a little different but ok to me. These were all picked up at Walmart.

3. ulrich22

ulrich22 New Member

Thanks June. I found the no sodium ketchup by Heinz. Here is the link for those who want it: Heinz No Salt Ketchup

4. tm53

tm53 New Member

Try these guys Not everything here is lo-sodium but there is a bunch that is, even no salt added pickles!

http://www.healthyheartmarket.com/index.aspx
    NSA Tomato soup is good, Lum Taylors BBQ sauce, etc

Also, you can cook in bulk, freeze some for the time tight days. Spaghetti sauce, Chicken Cacciatore both freeze and reheat well for example.

5. pardonme

pardonme Guest

6. jrw

jrw New Member

The grocery stores stock low salt canned mushrooms, tomatoes, a couple varieties of soup. Check out the Healthy Choice brand which some stores carry for the soup and spaghetti sauce. Salad dressings like raspberry vinaigrette and honey mustard tend to be low salt, or use oil and vinegar. Frozen veges rather than canned are quick and low salt, too.

My daughter works a bunch of hours, too, and she doesn't like prepackaged stuff, so she cooks up a big batch on weekends and works off that during the week. Soup is easy to make in big batches and freeze. And a crock pot simmering all day while you're at work can be a life saver, too.

7. earfears

earfears New Member

In Ft. Lauderdale, Green Wise and Whole Foods are pretty good (and save you the shipping!). They don't have a "salt-free" or "low-salt" section, but they have people to help. I've found quite a few things there. Online stuff is ok as long as it is not something you have to be concerned with over freshness or crunch in many cases. The nuts, seeds, fruits and meats/seafood at these places is always pretty good. Luckily, the local fish market and butcher can do one better and for less $$ in your area.

I hope this is helpful.