1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Inter-tympanic steroid injections-worth the risk?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Gina Manchego, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Justme77

Justme77 New Member

Feb 8, 2020
    Have you tried John of Ohio regimen? Here is a link to it if you haven't heard of it yet.
    JOH (John of Ohio) Regimen for Meniere's Disease details

2. Gina Manchego

Gina Manchego New Member

Jul 1, 2020
  3. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    There is more knowledge on this forum than 10 doctors put together, IMO.

4. Tony Wilson

Tony Wilson Member

Apr 2, 2019
    I recovered quite quickly, taking only 5 days off from work and was back at it with a few comments on "what happened to your ear". LOL, I work a desk job (thank goodness) and most people approach from my 6 so they could see the scar. It's since healed up nicely. My doc wasn't a fan of shunt so he just did the decompression. I also follow JOH but partake in salty foods, adult beverages, and caffeine as I've seen no correlation. I still get small flashes and nystagmus but it doesn't have staying power like my old vertigo attacks. I've also accepted that I'm always off a bit and have accepted this new normal which helps quite a bit to mellow out when you feel like your gonna loose your shit. In the scheme of things my time on this earth is short and I look forward to eternity in heaven made new again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. tmcmahon2

tmcmahon2 Member

May 9, 2015
    Had the shot didn't help.

That said, no one on this forum knows what causes Menieres or what fixes it. If the shot works for you? Great. If it doesn't then it won't hurt. Except for the being deaf in the ear you get your eardrum punctured for a day or so.

Seriously - No one knows what causes Menieres. No one knows what can fix it. There are things that work for some people and don't work for others. Myself? Maybe the Valtrex is working. Give me a few years and if my hearing gets better than it is now I'll be the first person to post it.

It sucks. It really sucks. I'd rather have cancer than Menieres. At least then I'd have something I could fight against then this syndrome no one knows that the hell it is.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    I agree that no one knows for sure the cause of Menieres although there are many theories. I don't agree with the statement that one can't fight against this dreadful syndrome. Many people on this board have fought and won over Menieres controlling their lives. I am one of those people I fought the beast for many years before choosing a laby. I live a completely normal, active lifestyle. I can't imagine having a choice between cancer and Menieres and choosing cancer! Perhaps you should find yourself a neuro-otolaryngologist who can help you through your symptoms? If you live near a teaching hospital i.e. Mass Eye and Ear in Boston that would be a good place to research. Don't let Meniers get in the way of living your life to the fullest. Best of luck to you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Gina Manchego

Gina Manchego New Member

Jul 1, 2020
    What a wonderful way to look at life

8. Gina Manchego

Gina Manchego New Member

Jul 1, 2020
    I’m beginning to realize that.

9. bob_

bob_ New Member

Oct 21, 2018
    Gina, I've had intratympanic injections of dexamethasone, and had no adverse side effects. The first time, the doctor injected me without numbing my ear drum, and it was painful, but just for a split-second. The second, third, and fourth times my ENT numbed my ear drum with a separate shot before the dex injection. That was more comfortable. The most uncomfortable part was having to lie still for 20 minutes without swallowing to allow the dex to be absorbed as much as possible inside the ear.

I did have some hearing return, although at the same time I was also doing the John of Ohio's regimen, starting a low-salt diet, and taking a diuretic. I'm still doing all three of those. My dizzy spells have largely stopped and hearing has been relatively stable for now. Best of luck!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gina Manchego

Gina Manchego New Member

Jul 1, 2020
    Thanks so much for your response. How long have your hearing/Ménière’s symptoms been stabilized?