1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Cochlear Hydrops - Feeling Skeptical Any Treatments Help

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Allears, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Allears

Allears New Member

Oct 27, 2020
    I've had tinnitus and fullness in my right ear since the beginning of this year. I had one minor vertigo experience in July and do not have hearing loss.

I was diagnosed with cochlear hydrops and I've been on a low sodium diet for 3 weeks. So far that isn't helping. I get lightheaded easily, even prior to any of my ear issues, so I'm reluctant to try a diuretic.

My ear doctor outlined several treatment options to me and I came to this forum for some guidance about where to start. From what I've read, everyone has such different experiences. Sadly, this has left me feeling skeptical about most treatments (steroid injections, antivirals, diet, supplements, etc). If there are such different results or lack of results from each treatment, is it possible to attribute any change in symptoms to these treatments? I'm left wondering if symptoms change on their own, for better or worse, regardless of the treatments. Are the treatments just placebos? Am I alone in feeling this way?

2. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    I will take a placebo any day, if it works ;)

3. Allears

Allears New Member

Oct 27, 2020
    Me too! I just don't know where to begin. My ear doctor initially thought it was Eustachian Tube Dysfunction and I had a myringotomy. That didn't alleviate my symptoms. It actually made my ear feel even fuller and more muffled. I feel like I took two steps back. The hole hasn't completely heeled after 4 weeks and I'm considering having it repaired. Has anyone had a similar experience with a myringotomy? I was starting to feel slightly better before the myringotomy and now I'm afraid to try something else.

4. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    There is one more or less constant throughout the threads here - "not much help from doctors"

• Like Like x 1
  5. JohnL999

JohnL999 Member

Sep 25, 2020
    Get on antivirals stat!

6. Jblovsky

Jblovsky New Member

Oct 28, 2020
    I have also been diagnosed with cochlear hydrops. Unlike you I have moderate hearing loss @ 125,250,500,750 Hertz and mild down to moderate in high freqencies. Only right ear. Left ear normal at all frequencies. I have the extreme fullness, muffled hearing, and tinnitus along with sharp pain. I am 10 months in and my hearing continues to decline but still no vertigo. I had an unfortunate mishap with a firearm and my ear defender became dislodged (I think) which has seemed to cause all of the problems from only a few rounds. I noticed it was loose after 10 shots and stopped shooting.
    Where are you guys getting anti virals? All the doctors I've seen wont even consider them when I have asked. Anybody from the Detroit Michigan area that can reccomend a doc?

7. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020

If the placebo makes you feel good it is already more than enough and it could be simply because many reduce their nerves or stress by taking something that they think works.

In any case, there is a certain consensus in medicine that Meniere is not a single disease but that there are multiple causes that cause Meniere's symptoms. This makes it impossible to find a clear diagnosis as well as a single treatment. If you have a virus in your inner ear, antivirals will work for you, but if what causes the problem is an allergy, no. The last field in medicine that has contributed a theory that could unify the treatment a bit is immunology, which believes that the vast majority of Menieres are for whatever reason they are produced because the immune system does not fight this problem correctly and that perhaps the cure for most would be to correct this problem and have the body take care of the rest. But for now this field of research is very green or I at least have not found great studies or advances, only theories of doctors who insist that otorhinolaryngology should rely more on their immunologist colleagues.

While all that happens, the only thing we can do is try things to find our cause of Meniere and alleviate it as we can. If it is a virus with antivirals, if it is an allergy with allergy shots, if it is an anemia with supplements, etc. Try things one at a time and decide for yourself.

The one that has the most success and reports are antivirals, I would say that about 90% of the reports of people who have tried them are positive.

8. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
  9. Jblovsky

Jblovsky New Member

Oct 28, 2020
    Thank you both for the info. Nearing 4am and wide awake with roaring so loud my head may explode. I dont know how a person lives a normal and productive life with this aliment. My life was perfect before this happened and everything has been taken from me. I'm young with an advanced degree, family, and feel paralyzed by this noise. Everytime I think about where I am headed I cry. I know I wont make it if something doesnt change. I have to get rid of this shit.