1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Ginger for a short term relief

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by NewUser, Dec 14, 2020.

1. NewUser

NewUser New Member

Dec 14, 2020
    Hi all,
    New here, and unsure if I suffer from Meniere's or something else, as I also have MAV and eye problems which makes it more difficult for the doctors to diagnose. Whatever it is, I've been having it for at least 10 years by now.
    Started JOH about a week ago, hoping for some results.
    Wanted to share with you my short term solution, which I'm using for about a year now - Fresh ginger root.
    I cut a piece about the thickness of the index and middle finger, and about the little finger lengthwise (can take a picture if needed), peel the skin, and grate it. Then put it in a cup with boiling water and drink it, can be mixed with tea.
    Relief comes within 10 minutes, for the next two hours or so. Not a cure for MM, but really helps me get through the day, especially when I'm having bad vertigo.

A few notes I noticed over time:
    -Strong colored ginger is really spicy, not in a good way. And possibly a bit less effective.
    For example I'll put random pictures from google:
    Good: https://cdn.apartmenttherapy.info/i...hive/43bead8b71f69b45799a8be60276ef3f212b6493
    Bad: https://cdn.apartmenttherapy.info/i...hive/65f47aea0bd2c273dc6c4d23901c06eac5d672ec
    -If you don't mind, you can eat it once you finish drinking, seems to double the effect (but definitely not necessary).
    -You can cook it by keeping the water boiling for about 5 minutes, seems to extract all of the contents, since there's no flavor left in the grated ginger after cooking. Personally I don't like the smell, I don't think it's more effective than eating the grated ginger after drinking, and it's a waste of time.
    -Don't freeze the ginger root, it seems to lose it's effectiveness after freezing.
    -I have no idea why it works, and if there are any negative long term effects to consuming large amount of ginger. Haven't found much info.

Let me know if you find this helpful

• Like Like x 3
  2. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    Good to read this. If ginger works for you it is almost certain because it is a natural anti-inflammatory, it also helps against migraines and vomiting or nausea.

If the reason that it relieves you is its anti-inflammatory effect, you can reinforce it by taking liquid curcumin and garlic in capsules. Ginger is also available in capsules.

The curcumin that is liquid, the other curcumins are absorbed worse and they tend to contain pepper that can cause stomach problems.

All in all, JOH will likely work for you.

3. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Why didn't you offer to try AVs this time? Changed your mind?

4. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Thanks for sharing! I personally found that sipping coffee throughout the day helps me to eliminate MD symptoms
    Coffee and the ear pressure

• Like Like x 1