1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

My B5+B6 Log

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by imasteeler, Mar 12, 2019.

1. John of Ohio

John of Ohio Active Member

May 17, 2014
    The postings and reports of various B vitamins as useful therapies or preventions for Meniere’s are very interesting; for me, as follows.

As many here know, I devised a regimen of various over the counter supplements that first, for me completely controlled my Meniere’s; the John of Ohio Meniere’s Treatment Regimen, at the download button here:

JOH (John of Ohio) Regimen for Meniere's Disease details

This regimen gave me continued relief from all Meniere’s symptom (as it has now done for many dozens of others; I have emailed accounts from over 200 people for which the regimen provided good to high levels of symptomatic relief).

About five years ago, because I had such good results with the regimen I had devised more about 10 years previously, I simply stopped taking it. I closely monitored my left ear for any resumption of any Meniere’s symptom. None appeared; I had no need to adhere to the regimen any more. I’ve been symptom-free ever since.

However, it comes to mind that a few years before I stopped adhering to my regimen, I began to take a multivitamin loaded with all of the B vitamins, at levels far higher than the recommended daily allowances. In retrospect, in the light of the recent information here that various B vitamins, in adequate, higher than normal amounts have provided relief for Meniere’s, could my symptom-free period, after I stopped taking my regimen components have actually been caused by the elevated doses of B vitamins in the new multi-component multivitamin I was taking? This might very much be so.

Here’s the multivitamin I’ve been taking. It has not only high doses of B vitamins (for which there is emerging evidence showing a number of good health outcomes — inhibited shrinkage of the brain with age, etc.) but has a host of very healthful minerals and supplements:

https://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-synergy-mens-multivitamin-180-capsules

It has 50mg each of B2 and B6 (check the label for all the others).

A similar product for women would be:

https://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-synergy-womens-multivitamin

Multivitamins with reduced supplements, but high B vitamins are these:

https://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-mens-50-plus-multivitamin?q=men's&ta=men's

https://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-womens-50-plus-multivitamin?q=women's+multivitamin&ta=women'

Are the 50mg dosages in each of these sufficient to suppress Meniere’s symptoms? I don’t know. I know only that since taking the first multivitamin (above), and after stopping my regimen, I’ve been completely free of symptoms. Have the components in the strong multivitamin supported my immune system sufficiently to chronically suppress herpes virus activity in my ears? Perhaps so.

–John of Ohio

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bennyhill

Bennyhill Member

Feb 15, 2019
    Australia
    Congratulations. Any improvement is always welcome. I am very interested in whether the improvement continues after the 10 day course of prednisone is finished. Will the B5/B6 help in that regard? It does for me. My annual hearing tests have show no significant reduction in 9 years - just that with age ( I am 73). If you can stop the attacks, you will stop further hearing damage. You definitely sound as if you are on the mend.

3. Robert Wilson

Robert Wilson Member

Feb 7, 2019
    I added a B complex to the JOH regimen. Started JOH 2-3 months ago, and it reduced my symptoms significantly. I also added some migraine related supplements (magnesium, COQ10). This all reduced my daily symptoms (not to zero, but a significant reduction), vertigo attacks went down but not totally away. A big improvement, but still significant symptoms left. I added a B complex 2 weeks ago, and now for the first time in many months my tinnitus is occasionally totally gone, and my other symptoms continue to reduce. I also added monolaurin a week or 2 ago. I realize this makes me not a great test case because I can't isolate what's doing what exactly, but I just want it to get better.

4. imasteeler

imasteeler Member

May 12, 2014
    Houston
    @Bennyhill:

I finished the 10-day prednisone course on March 6th. I did not notice any significant improvement at the time, in fact went on for 2 more weeks not hearing very well at all. Then I woke up March 23rd, (11 days into the b5/b6), being able to hear all tones clearly again, especially bass.

@JOH:

I am on the full JOH regimen now, have been on and off since I first heard of it. I will taper off to a maintenance dose after the 4 weeks b5/b6 trial, if all goes as well as it has thus far. I am very grateful indeed for the work you put into this and shared with us all, and I continue to be amazed that the medical community does not generally want to hear about it.

@all:

In the meantime, I have found at least two other references that appear to corroborate what we have been discussing here lately - B6 especially and the B-complex vitamins in higher dosages appear to be effective in reducing and eliminating Meniere's symptoms.

Reference 1, from my new favorite book the Nutrition Almanac:
    "A person testified that the therapy of Dr. Mills Atkinson, which consisted of heavy intakes of the B-complex vitamins four times daily, reversed his case of Meniere's syndrome, which had lasted almost 4 months." (bold italics added by me)

Reference 2, from www.menieres-disease.ca: - suggest reading the section titled "If you have Meniere's disease, why would nutritional supplements help? They go into some detail about vitamins, multivitamins, etc. and how they are helpful in many ways. (There appears to be a great deal of supporting information available on this site. I am planning to dig deeper into it.)

Today is day 19 since I added the b5/b6 - taken shortly after breakfast and with 16 oz water. I continue to feel measurably better.

My right ear is still ringing, but no where near as badly as it was - and my left ear has now stopped ringing all together... within 10 minutes of taking the b5/b6, I notice a difference. It seems to last well past lunchtime, then my right ear takes it up a notch or so.. not unbearable, but still ...

I have had no significant dizziness or any indication of dizziness since early March, in fact, we went skiing in Utah last weekend...

So I am really happy about all of this - and I hope to find the lasting relief that both BennyHill and JOH have reported...

Will post final results when they are in...

Cheers to all !!!
    JMC

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jacqui

Jacqui Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Athens, Greece
    I notice that the recommended brand of Vitamin C in the JOH regime contains magnesium and that it is in the Multivitamin that John mentions taking (60mg). I do believe it is the third vital component to the vitamin B regime. The proof is in the NIHL/SSHL studies I have posted before, it is the missing link both for hearing recovery and hair cell protection as well (as protecting against ototoxicity).

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Ponx54

Ponx54 New Member

Aug 21, 2018
    You can do your own audiogram free of charge on hearingtest.online. You will need to buy a decent pair of over-ear headphones. It takes a few minutes to do a calibration. After that you can accurately monitor your hearing levels as often as you like..

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jen R

Jen R New Member

Mar 21, 2019
    John of Ohio,

The multivitamin you mentioned above - do you take six capsules per day? Photos on the website show supplement facts and reads 6 capsules.

Thanks for sharing!

8. John of Ohio

May 17, 2014
    I take 2 capsules at each of my three meals each day.
    --John of Ohio

• Like Like x 1
  9. imasteeler

imasteeler Member

May 12, 2014
    Houston
    day 23:

No tinnitus in my left ear for over a week - except for short periods of time late in the evening where a barely noticeable high pitch tinnitus comes up, then goes away again after maybe 30 minutes. This is the ear that went completely off the rails last July and then again early this year. Hearing is back to mostly normal in this ear.

Right ear tinnitus is holding steady at 3 on my 10-point scale. It will be marginally louder in the morning, then tapers off within 10-15 minutes of taking the B5/B6 combo after breakfast. This is my original MM ear - hearing is about 40% overall in this one, with losses in all frequencies. BUT - I can hear bass tones (or feel them?) again through this ear since the 23rd.

Bass tones is a huge deal for me - I cannot distinguish pitch or tone on my instruments without it.

No dizziness to speak of for 3 weeks. Only a minor wobbly every now and again - which tells me to drink some more water... I am drinking 16-20 oz. of water 5-6 times a day, every day. And visiting the bathroom every 90 minutes or so... which I guess I might expect considering the triamterene?

Next week will be 30 days on the B5/B6. So far it is all good news for me.

• Like Like x 1
  10. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    I have been unable to obtain the b5 in tablet form. Can anyone post a site that carries it in either 100mg, 250mg, or 500mg tablets?
    Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  11. imasteeler

imasteeler Member

May 12, 2014
    Houston
    amazon.com - search for Source Naturals, pantothenic acid
    comes in 250 MG, easy to cut in half

12. Robert Wilson

Robert Wilson Member

Feb 7, 2019
    CVS has some vitamin B complexes that include 100mg of B6 and B5.

13. imasteeler

imasteeler Member

May 12, 2014
    Houston
    Well... I was really hoping to post a 100% positive affirmation of the B5/B6 routine this week - but...

Up until Saturday at 6:00 PM, it was looking very good. Then I started to notice a high pitch tinnitus creeping up in my left ear, which had gone quiet for almost 2 weeks. I took a 2nd dose at dinner time, that seemed to settle it down.

But then Sunday afternoon it came back, and settled at 1-2 on my 10-point scale. Always there, but not very loud.

Monday was ok, but then yesterday and today both days around 11:00 am, the high pitch tinnitus got overwhelmed by a very loud machine noise sounding tinnitus for maybe 90 minutes... both times, I took a 2nd dose and the machine noise gradually subsided, back to just the high pitch tinnitus in both ears, right ear louder still than left.

I did not change my routine during the last month, but one possible contributing factor is not having gotten proper rest since about last Wednesday. Working double shifts, and I played an outdoor gig Saturday night - got home later than usual, then got up early Sunday again.

So... I am not writing it off. I am doubling down on keeping the B vitamins in the routine. Also planning to add the multi vitamin JOH had indicated above.

14. imasteeler

imasteeler Member

May 12, 2014
    Houston
    UPDATE to the update:

Everything seems to have settled back down today... I can hear again, my tinnitus is back to where it was last week - barely perceptible in my left ear, and not at all excessive in the right.

So... trying to nail down the specific sequence of events, weather, behavior, diet, external influences, sleep, exercise, etc. etc. and whatnot that sets the whole thing off -

Maybe I'll just go fishing instead...

• Like Like x 3
  15. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Steeler, pulling for you. Do keep in mind, when self-diagnosing, one must be as analytical and cold as you'd be observing an ant in an empty beer bottle.

16. Rgv

Rgv Member

Mar 30, 2019
    Steeper,
    I take the 500 mg b6 in capsule form and open it and pour 1/2 in my hand
    Does this do anything harmful this way?
    Tastes awful but I don't really care, couldn't find it in pill form
    Also, do you add more b5, b6 when your tinnitus acts up,,,is that ok to do ?
    Lastly, does the JOH first 3 vitamins help in any way? Was thinking about adding them
    Been on b5,b6 for 3 weeks now, not seeing much yet
    Thnx

17. imasteeler

imasteeler Member

May 12, 2014
    Houston
    @Rgv:

I've no idea really about the capsule form - I don't imagine it could hurt though. Amazon.com has the pill form in 250MG, easy to cut in half.

I take a double dose in the afternoon if the tinnitus starts to rail again - this has happened maybe 4 times in the last month.

I am on the full JOH - all supplements - plus 1 daily triamterene water pill... For me, the JOH has been most effective when taken in full dosages, and strictly following the protocol outlined in the document - i.e. vitamins with food, l-lysine without food, etc.

Most importantly for both is a low-sodium diet. Can't stress this highly enough. If I go over 2K MG of sodium in a 24 hour period, I will feel it almost immediately...!

Hope that helps - and good luck! We are all different, so … results may vary.

For me, I am declaring the B5/B6 a success - after 36 days, I have no tinnitus in my left ear to speak of, and the right ear is now down to 2 on my 10-point scale... This is indeed a dramatic improvement.

JMC

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Rgv

Rgv Member

Mar 30, 2019
    Steeler,
    Thanks for replying. Will stick with b5, b6
    Sodium is big for me too, over 2,000 and I'm done for the day
    I'm trying JOH vitamins, just not sure if I need lysine since my 'recent bloodwork showed no sign of herpes virus,,,can anyone comment on this part of JOH program if herpes showed negative ?
    Thnx

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. John of Ohio

May 17, 2014
    If blood work could accurately detect herpes infections in the inner ear, treatment with antiherpetics would have been standard of care long ago. Fact is, sadly, herpes infections in the inner ear simply do not always (or often) reveal themselves by blood tests for herpes.

Lysine is utterly safe at the dosages mentioned in the regimen. It's a dietary amino acid, not a drug. But when taken alone (without food) it does suppress herpes virus replication; suppresses herpes infections.

--John of Ohio

20. Rgv

Rgv Member

Mar 30, 2019
    Very much appreciated again John
    Thank you