1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

My B5+B6 Log

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by imasteeler, Mar 12, 2019.

1. John of Ohio

John of Ohio Active Member

May 17, 2014
    I see no reason to terminate lysine, when taking any of the prescription antiherpetic drugs. Lysine is not competitive against, does not interrupt or interfere with the drug's biochemical mechanisms that suppress herpes virus activity. If anything, the lysine will support or potentiate the efficacy of the antiherpetic drug.

--John of Ohio

2. Samiam

Samiam New Member

Jul 24, 2020
    I was diagnosed with Ménière’s in 2014 (left side tinnitus/hearing loss with vertigo (some episodes with sudden vomiting). I was seen by “the expert Menieres doctor” at Mass Eye and Ear in Boston and told I would eventually be deaf, not much could be done. I walked out determined never to return.

I have been taking 100mg of B5 and B6 since January 2020, and haven’t had vertigo at all, barely noticeable tinnitus. I also notice I feel better when my eating and sleeping schedules are consistent. I plan to continue B5/B6 and thank all those who share their experiences on this wonderful forum.

• Like Like x 2
  3. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    I'm glad it's working for you, just add that not all Menieres cause total deafness. I don't know why your doctor got ahead of events and gave you that bad news. Since I was diagnosed, I have found more people with this disease, among them my uncle of more than 70 years and diagnosed with 40. He has not been deaf, he always had acceptable hearing (obviously not good) and even today he continues to listen no headphones and you don't have to speak too loudly to understand. He had many attacks of vertigo during the first 3-4 years, then he did not have any more attacks, although he did feel constant dizziness and tinnitus.

And my uncle is not the example of how to deal with this disease, he left the medicines that he was prescribed because he said that he did nothing to him and he did not want to take any injection. The injection thing might be a good idea not to lose as much hearing because everyone who uses injections or surgery often loses extra hearing due to these procedures; But the fact that in 30 years he has not wanted to try medications or other therapies and live dizzy every day is crazy.

A psychiatrist friend of my mother has also had a meniere for 20 years and is over 60 years old, she has not lost hearing either. She also rarely feels dizzy or dizzy, she takes betahistine, eats without salt, and drinks few fluids, only when she is thirsty, she told me.

It seems strong enough to me to tell someone in the early stage of the disease that he or she will become deaf when it is not certain or how long. Maybe you go deaf at 70-80 years old, but surprise! People without Meniere also become deaf as they get older or maybe if you become deaf soon, the possibility is there; But I as a doctor would not say that to my patient, it is giving him an extra dose of stress and anxiety that does not help anyone.

And in fact there is already a study that shows that statistically 80% of those affected by Meniere remit vertigo attacks on their own at approximately 8 years of age. And that many of the problems of hearing loss come because before the attacks stop on their own, people resort to antibiotic injections or surgeries that, as I have said, have as a side effect hearing loss added to that already caused by Meniere.

I have an otoneurologist researcher friend, her field is not Meniere; but it works with people who do investigate our disease. The first thing I asked her was if there really was a chance that they would find something soon. Her response was:
    -I do not think they will find a complete cure soon, but they hope in ten years to find an effective treatment that stops vertigo and dizziness for periods of at least ten years.

She didn't give me any details and obviously it's just a prognosis, but they are the kind of news I would give to Meniere's patients so that she has a small hope to hold on to. Especially in young people that this disease can ruin their love, social and work life.

4. Tinalian

Tinalian New Member

Jul 3, 2022
    Just want to check if anyone has success with B5B6

• Like Like x 1
  5. Paul101

Paul101 Member

Jan 30, 2023
    Me too

6. Riplip

Riplip Member

Mar 16, 2018
    NH
    Samiam, I also went to Mass Eye and Ear only for them to tell me I would be going deaf and should start the process for a Cochlear Implant. That was 6 or 7 years ago and I'm still managing with hearing aids just fine. I think they just want to cut into people heads to get the money. Just my thought but I've never been back there as well. Good luck

7. Paul101

Paul101 Member

Jan 30, 2023
    Is. That everything u take

8. Bennyhill

Bennyhill Member

Feb 15, 2019
    Australia
    Time to update everyone on B5/B6. I am now 78 and have been Menieres attacks free for over 20 years. No Tinitus, full ears, dizziness, nausea or vomiting. Before B5/B6, attacks would come 2-3 times a week and then stop for a couple months. I can remember crawling down the hallway to the bathroom pushing a container along the floor to hold the vomit. Unable stand, sit or lie down. Head spinning constantly. I used to get direct injections of Stemital to stop the nausea. Contrary to what has been said here, if you continually experience attacks like that, you will go deaf in the affected ear. You will then walk like a penguin since your balance organ in the ear will be destroyed. The examples of Menieres given above indicate they did not suffer full blown attacks. Menieres is the flooding of the inner ear affecting the hairs that control your balance. Usually in one ear, that is why your head spins. Apparently B6 controls the fluid and Menieres sufferers do not have enough. I was diagnosed after multiple tests when I underwent a hearing test during an attack. The dampening of my hearing due to the flooding compared to my normal hearing test showed the flooding of the inner ear causing pressure on my ear drum.
    Lifestyle. I live a normal life, wear hearing aids, drive a car but lost my pilot’s license because doctors don’t believe B5/B6 work. In 1970, I stopped smoking, drinking coffee and alcohol, when children came into our lives. I eat a low salt breakfast of shredded wheat cereal (9mg/100mg Sodium) with honey flavoured puffed wheat (5mg/100mg Sodium) instead of sugar. My wife and I don’t add salt to our food in cooking or on plate. That’s it for the salt. This means I can eat out and have no effect.
    When first told about B5/B6, the dose was 100mg B6 and 150mg B5. Cannot get latter in Australia, so settled for 125m B5. Every 18 months in March and September, I experience a slight bout of dizziness. Immediately take a dose of B5/B6 and dizziness gone in less than 10 minutes. Happened twice this month about two weeks ago. 18 months - next is in March 2025. I think the 125mg is just not quite enough and wish it was 150mg as originally told. I will calendar March 2025 and take extra doses of B5/B6 twice a week to see if that breaks the cycle. Other than that, life is normal.
    B5 is an enhancer for B6 so you don’t have to take higher doses of B6. Multivitamins don’t have enough B5/B6. If you cannot get tablets to break, open capsule, divide vitamin powder and sprinkle on food to avoid bitter taste. Take B5/B6 in morning because as they are water soluble, you will pass them in your morning trip to toilet. If dizziness comes in afternoon, take another dose every evening. Coffee and salt are known triggers for Menieres. And stress. If I can locate the notes taken at the Menieres Forum I attended in 2009. I will post them. They include coloured illustrations of a normal ear and a Menieres ear during an attack.
    Apart from heart medications (had open heart surgery 2016) and Krill Oil plus Turmeric for arthritis, I take no other medications than B5/B6.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Paul101

Paul101 Member

Jan 30, 2023
    How many times a day do you take the vitamin

10. John of Ohio

May 17, 2014
    I take the Vitacost Men's Multivitamin, as directed on the label; two tablets three times a day.

--John of Ohio

• Like Like x 1
  11. Paul101

Paul101 Member

Jan 30, 2023
    Thank you can you take antihistamine on your regime for summer time

12. John of Ohio

May 17, 2014
    There should be no problems with antihistamines.

--John of Ohio

13. Paul101

Paul101 Member

Jan 30, 2023
    What brand. Of pycnogenol did u take and how did it take to work for u

14. Paul101

Paul101 Member

Jan 30, 2023
    What brand did u take of pycnogenol and how long did it take to work for u

15. Conniempaul

Conniempaul New Member

Nov 27, 2023
    Thanks Im starting my B’s today. Hope it works for me.

• Like Like x 1