1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Ear feeling tight and making my balance off

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Angela Galbraith, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Angela Galbraith

Angela Galbraith New Member

Nov 12, 2020
    My ear feels really tight it usually gos away but I've had it from yesterday and it's making my balance off , is there anything the doctor can give me to help . I am on betahistine 16mg 3 times a day , I have a baby to look after aswell.

2. Angela Galbraith

Angela Galbraith New Member

Nov 12, 2020
    I could ask my doctor for some anti inflammatory, could I use ear drops?

3. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    There are no ear drops for MD, unless you have simple outer ear infection. For anti inflammatory see these links above

4. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    The first step is always to go to the doctor.

5. Saera

Saera Active Member

Jul 5, 2019

I'm so sorry you're feeling that way. I find that when my ear feels full or tight, that's when I feel my worst. I had a tube put in my ear, like they do for instilling ear drops in little kids, and that helps 'vent' the pressure. Mine was done in office and took less than 10 minutes. I am begging them for another.
    Otherwise I haven't found much that helps alleviate that pressure. Let us know what you try and what helps you!

6. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Before you do something, first you need to understand what causes that pressure feeling in your ears. Ear tubes may worsen your hearing and they won't fix the main cause, they only can alleviate some symptoms.

First, try to pop your ears like you are on the plane or when you are diving and are equalizing the ears' pressure. If it’s difficult or impossible, you may have eustachian tube dysfunction and you need to consult the doctor about this.

If you have eustachian tube dysfunction, then you need to understand what causes this problem.

Eustachian tube dysfunction may cause swelling, inflammation or infection in the eustachian tubes or middle ears and fixing it may help you alleviate the pressure in the ears.

If the cause of your eustachian tube dysfunction is not swelling, inflammation or infection, then probably you may have other pathology and an eustachian tube balloon dilation procedure may help you.

Also, hydrops can cause the ears pressure feeling. This is the main cause of Meniere's syndrome and can be checked with a high power MRI test (minimum 1.5T) and special contrast. If it is so, then ear tubes won't help you in this case.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020