1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

My experience with fasting only on water

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Mindosa, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    If not cancer, then diabetes, if not diabetes then Meniere’s, if not Meniere’s then you will get eventually something else..let’s see to the core of the problem!

Very interesting talk from PhD about fasting influence on our health and very scientific explain how fasting rejuvenates our body and could fix the core problem.

Fasting: Awakening the Rejuvenation from Within

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  2. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    I notice you too interested and hopeful that fasting will be the solution to your problems. I hope it works for you, you will tell us.

3. Dixie

Dixie New Member

May 6, 2020
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Yes, I am very interested in fasting, if not for my Meniere’s then for overall health. As mentioned PhD in the video above, eventually you will get something else..

Also I know I have TMJ, but not sure yet if it is the main cause of my Meniere’s symptoms and now I am trying to fix it, but it could take up to 1 or even 2 years. Also recently, while freediving, I noticed that I have problems with my Eustachian tubes and there are also connections between Meniere’s symptoms and Eustachian tube pathology. So for now, I believe my Meniere’s symptoms could cause TMJ and Eustachian tube pathology together and maybe something else too and I intensely trying to figure it out.

Now yours MD cause could be inheritance. You mentioned that you have uncle with MD. So “Australian protocol” could be your way to go and waiting for your results in your post. Also don’t forget about Turkey Tail therapy. In that research they talk a lot about vitagenes, so there could be connections.

5. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
  6. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Well, going further into how to fix the core problem and how diseases are occurring, these videos below probably are the most important information for most of us in our life!

Don't treat the disease, treat the aging!

Everything starts from the aging, because of that, cells lose their identity and diseases starting to occur.

This information is very new. All announcements were in the end of 2019 and the book was also published in 2019.

Besides, last year World Health Organization finally agreed that aging is the disease ant should be aggressively treated.

In these videos, Harvard professor David Sinclair shares his 25 year’s work results about aging and most importantly, what we can do now to slow or even to stop this process. He says that we all can live our lives full of energy and without any diseases.

These are the methods he uses himself and also his family members. He tells about his father who at 70’s was not in good shape anymore, but after 10 years (now he is 80) of using these methods, managed to return to job!

Here is D.Sinclair’s slow down aging recipe:

- Be hungry! Several days per week do intermittent fasting, just skip the meal, breakfast or dinner;

- Be cold! Stress your body with cold. You can sleep in the cold room or do sauna and cold water procedures;

- Exercise;

- Take Resveratrol, especially together with intermittent fasting;

- Take NMN

- Take Metformin

According to his experience and his researches this system works! And maybe this system could be united to avoid all diseases and maybe for us Menierian’s, also could be the real deal!

And lastly, I want to mention about his others major achievements. Understandings how aging mechanism is working, he can not only to slow down or event stop aging, but do it reverse! Whit help of the gene therapy, he managed in old and blind mouse to rejuvenate old blind eye, that mouse after this procedure now can see! He says that it can be done in every tissue. This is freakingly exciting! Can you imagine, you can rejuvenate all organs of your body- eyes, ears everything!

Unfortunately, these experiments are only had done with the mice’s and we need to wait till everything will be clear in these processes and can be done in humans!

Anyway, this is very exciting and the near future for the Meniere’s, also for other diseases and overall quality of life could be very different!

Have a good time watching!

This Harvard Professor Explains the Secret to Aging in Reverse

How to Slow Aging (and even reverse it)

David Sinclair | Why We Age and Why We Don't Have To | Talks at Google

7. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    While reading Harvard professor’s D. Sinclair’s book Lifespan, I decided to share very important excerpts about fasting benefits to our health:

"After twenty-five years of researching aging and having read thousands of scientific papers, if there is one piece of advice I can offer, one surefire way to stay healthy longer, one thing you can do to maximize your lifespan right now, it’s this: eat less. Not malnutrition. Not starvation. These are not pathways to more years, let alone better years. But fasting.

Studies conducted over the next eighty years demonstrated again and again that calorie restriction without malnutrition, or CR, leads to longevity for all sorts of life-forms.

It engages the survival circuit, telling longevity genes to do what they have been doing since primordial times: boost cellular defences, keep organisms alive during times of adversity, ward off disease and deterioration, minimize epigenetic change, and slow down aging.

Calorie restriction hasn’t been demonstrated only to lengthen life but also to forestall cardiac disease, diabetes, stroke, and cancer. It’s not just a longevity plan; it’s a vitality plan.

Today, human studies are confirming that once-in-a-while calorie restriction can have tremendous health results, even if the times of fasting are quite transient.

Many of the centenarians in this region have spent their lives eschewing a morning meal. They generally eat their first small meal of the day around noon and then share a larger meal with their families at twilight. In this way, they typically spend sixteen hours or more of each day without eating.

Almost any periodic fasting diet that does not result in malnutrition is likely to put your longevity genes to work in ways that will result in a longer, healthier life."

So my thoughts:

Lifespan I can safely say is a life changing book. After reading this book you will understand how our body’s works in the cellular and genetic level. All diseases that we get in the middle age or even later are just the symptoms of something bigger which is called aging. In this book there are a lot of advises what we already can do now to slow down or even to stop this "disease" and to transform our Lifespan to a Healthspan!

Have a good reading!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  8. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    ..but if you are still thinking, despite all of this information and for various reasons, that fasting is not for you, there is still the "magic pill" which can do the trick similar to fasting and it mimics aspects of calorie restriction.

This is Metformin! It is used to treat diabetes worldwide, but a few years ago, researchers noticed a curious phenomenon: people taking metformin were living notably healthier lives—independent, it seemed, of its effect on diabetes. The beauty of Metformin is that it impacts many diseases and aging itself!

Now Nir Barzilai, the Israeli American physician and geneticist who, along with his colleagues at Albert Einstein College of Medicine is leading the charge at US Food and Drug Administration to make Metformin the first drug to be approved to delay the most common age-related diseases by addressing their root cause: aging itself. You can find more about in Targeting Aging with Metformin (TAME) study. Well, that would be a game changer and the beginning of the end for a world in which aging is “just the way it goes.”

You can find more about Metformin studies, how it works and other great staff in the book Lifespan!

Have a good reading!

9. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    The beauty of metformin is that it impacts many diseases. Through the power of AMPK activation, it makes more NAD and turns on sirtuins and other defenses against aging as a whole—engaging the survival circuit upstream of these conditions, ostensibly slowing the loss of epigenetic information and keeping metabolism in check, so all organs stay younger and healthier.

Most of us assume that the effects of a pill like metformin would take years to produce any appreciable effect on aging, but maybe not. An admittedly small study of healthy volunteers claimed that the DNA methylation age of blood cells is reversed within a week and, astoundingly, only ten hours after taking a single 850 mg pill of metformin.

Professor David Sinclair

Who knows, maybe Metformin could affect MD too?!

Maybe there is someone in this forum who takes metformin for prolonged time and would be nice to hear whether it is affecting MD symptoms?

I just recently started to take it, so it's too early to say something

10. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Further proceeding on Metformin there is another info that could be connected to MD.

In the video below the doctor is talking that insulin abnormalities, insulin resistance and high blood sugar levels may cause inner ear disorder.

Inner ear demands for blood sugar are three times that of an equivalent volume of the brain. Consequently, when the ears are not working normally and you have changes going on in blood sugars that could affect what’s called endolymphatic potential.

Endolymphatic potential is the positive voltage of 80-100mV seen in the cochlear endolymphatic spaces. When a sound is presented, the endocochlear potential changes either positive or negative in the endolymph, depending on the stimulus.

So, a low carbohydrate diet may help manage inner ear disorders symptoms, also migraines and headaches, but it could take from half a year to 1 or even 2 years to take an effect.

He is also talking that many diseases could be connected to insulin abnormalities, insulin resistance and high blood sugar levels, not only inner ear disorders and migraines.

So, now I am making some connections and I want to add from myself, maybe Metformin would be a great deal to help with this problem, because it lowers your blood sugar levels by improving the way your body handles insulin. Also Metformin is now in research and waiting for approval not only treating diabetes, but various other diseases and even aging, that could be the core problem of all diseases in the middle age.

11. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    Regarding blood glucose, warn that 0% sugar products that use aspartan or sweeteners are more harmful to health and can cause diabetes in the long term as well. If you want to go on a low-sugar diet, you have to stop eating things with sugars or sugar substitutes.

What I no longer know is whether a low sugar diet implies not consuming carbohydrates, for example rice flour for every 100gr has 80gr of carbohydrates, but of these only 0.12g are sugars.

Does it have to be a low carb diet of all kinds or just high sugar carbs?

12. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    I think you need to avoid all fast carbohydrates with a high glycemic index which spikes blood sugar levels, not to mention sugar itself.

Another way is to use Metformin, it is very very cheap medication and it has a lot of benefits!

13. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
  14. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Recently I saw on TV that one professor was talking, that curcumin can increase intermittent fasting effect. Also I saw in this forum that for one member, curcumin helps to alleviate ear pressure.

So I added it to my regime together with the 16 h. intermittent fasting for 2 weeks already, and so far so good.

If you decide to add curcumin to your regime, look for how much curcuminoids your supplement has. Not every curcumin supplement is equal.

15. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    Hello Mindosa. Anything to report about your experiments?

16. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Yes IvanA, I can report serious side effects from my experiments. Due to intermittent fasting I lost 10 kg (from 83 to 73 kg)!:)

Although I feel much much better than in the first 2-3 months of my MD onset, I still experience some annoying MD symptoms, more or less every day.
    I don't know, maybe it is the nature of this disease, or maybe something worked.
    I was experimenting and I am still experimenting with a lot of things, maybe too much, but I desperately want to be 100% free of MD symptoms and I don't want to live the rest of my life not feeling great everyday.

The info I have posted in this thread I believe is more for fighting with MD indirectly, by elevating overall health, giving more energy to your body by boosting NAD levels, also inducing the body's defence mechanisms through AMPK activators, mTOR inhibitors and sirtuins to better fight all diseases.

I don't believe there will be fast results. For me to develop MD symptoms took 42 years by doing something wrong to my body, so I think I will need more than a few months to fix it all.

• Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 1
  17. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
  18. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    This study supports correlation between insulin abnormalities to MD.

An early diagnosis of hyperinsulinemia, the metabolic change most often involved in the pathogenesis of cochleovestibular disorders, can be made.
    Hyperinsulinemia is a condition in which there are excess levels of insulin circulating in the blood relative to the level of glucose.

Source:
    Glucose and insulin profiles and their correlations in Ménière's disease - PubMed

19. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
  20. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Eat Less Often
    There is nothing revolutionary about fasting. As far back as Hippocrates, the ancient Greek physician, doctors have been espousing the benefits of limiting what we eat. This is not the same thing as malnutrition, in which the systems of our bodies begin to prey upon one another. But allowing our bodies to exist in a state of want — more often than most of us allow in our privileged world of plenty — is unquestionably good for our health and longevity.

There are numerous studies pointing to the health benefits of intermittent fasting. In one such study that Matthew and I discussed in Lifespan, participants ate a normal diet most of the time, but five days a month ate a restricted diet. In three months, those who maintained the “fasting mimicking” diet lost weight, reduced their body fat and lowered their blood pressure, too. Participants also had lower levels of a hormone primarily made in the liver called insulin-like growth factor 1, or IGF-1. Mutations in the IGF-1 and IGF-1 receptor gene are associated with lower rates of death and disease.

So what do I do? My blood sugar rises in the morning and I am not hungry, so I skip breakfast, except for two tablespoons of a homemade yogurt. I try to skip lunch or eat a late lunch of a small soup or salad. At dinner I eat a “normal” dinner, with a focus on plant-based foods and not overeating. My downfall is alcohol. I often have a glass of wine for dinner a few times a week.

Given the number of studies and complexity of intermittent fasting, I will cover this topic in an upcoming newsletter. The bottom line is that there is no “best diet.” What works for someone may not work for another. We are all different, with different ages, circadian rhythms, jobs, body compositions, microbiomes, stresses, and wants. No matter what you do, a little fasting goes a long way. In the meantime, you can download the recent article my colleagues Mark Mattson and Rafa de Cabo published in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Effects of Intermittent Fasting on Health, Aging, and Disease
    (Rafael de Cabo, Ph.D., and Mark P. Mattson, Ph.D.)
    https://www.gwern.net/docs/longevity/2019-decabo.pdf

Four Lifestyle Interventions I Do To Maximize My Healthspan